Year 11 and Year 13 Exam Consultation Update
A letter from Principal Harry French regarding the 2021 GCSE and A Level Exam series
Dear Parents / Carers,
RE: Ofqual Consultation for awarding grades this Summer
Following the cancellation of this year’s summer exams, the Department for Education and Ofqual have launched a consultation seeking views on how to award grades in a way that reflects students’ performance accurately, acknowledging the disruption they have faced this year.
Similar alternative arrangements are proposed for students taking vocational and technical qualifications, such as BTECs and Cambridge Technicals, to ensure students are treated fairly and are equally able to progress.
The consultation closed on Friday 29 January. We have studied the consultation in detail and have responded as a group of Greenwood Academies Trust secondary academies. Once the outcome of the consultation has been published, we will communicate clearly with you regarding what it means for you and further plans for supporting you.
In summary, Ofqual and the Department for Education propose that:
- Students would continue with their education during this academic year
- Students would be assessed by their teachers in a period beginning in May into early June
- Teachers would submit grades to the exam boards by mid-June
- External quality assurance by the exam boards would be ongoing throughout June
- Results would be issued to students once the quality assurance process is complete, most likely in early July
- Student appeals could be submitted immediately following the issue of results and would first be considered by schools and colleges.
We would like to draw your attention to the following statement in the consultation: ‘we propose that teachers should make final assessments of the standard of their students’ performance during late May and early June’ therefore it is extremely important students continue to engage with all lessons.
We would like to reassure you that we are here for you and will continue to deliver lessons whilst lockdown continues. Please do get in touch if you need any help whatsoever, whether academic or pastoral. We really do hope to see you back in school soon and in the meantime please take care.
Mr Harry French